Where are the Stimulus Checks?

Earlier this year, in an effort to help combat the economic distress caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the U.S. government passed legislation to give each eligible American a $1,200 economic stimulus check. The legislation allowed up to 20 weeks for the government to deliver the checks. As of late April, around 88 million Americans received their stimulus checks, according to a report in the Business Insider.
When the government started to issue the stimulus checks, it started with people that filed a 2019 return and used direct deposit to receive their federal tax returns. For non-filers and people that normally do not receive a tax return, the government provided a way for them to provide their bank account information to receive their stimulus checks by direct deposit. People that need to provide their banking information need to use the Get My Payment web-portal created by the IRS to provide this information.
For people on Social Security, SSI or disability, they are supposed to automatically receive their checks the way each person normally receives his or her check. If it is direct deposited, that is how the person receives the stimulus check. Other options include the Direct Express debit card, and by mail.
For those that receive checks in the mail, the government says they were to be out no later than early May. The government started sending out these checks on April 24, according to the Business Insider, with the lowest income person receiving their checks first. For people still waiting on their checks, it is a process to send out 150 million total checks. The government says everyone eligible to receive an economic stimulus payment should receive the check no later than September 11 of this year.

13 Comments

1. Roy Watkins on May 15, 2020 at 10:08 am

Me and my husband have gotten a letter in the mail saying we have gotten our checks but they took or checks for child support but I don’t have a child but my husband does and we are separated and I am disabled and I am having it hard making it $746.00 a month and I was really looking forward of getting my check. I called the IRS and they told me to fill out a form and send it in and I did all that! So i was wondering how I can find out when I’m getting my check. Is there a number I can call to find out about my check? I could really use it right now.

2. Dianna Gutierrez on May 16, 2020 at 10:53 am

I am still waiting for mine and I wasn’t needing to fill anything besides my update for direct deposit info and still nothing and my boyfriend gotten his but am still waiting so how much longer and what else am I suppose to do please contract me thanks message or text thanks

• Linda on May 21, 2020 at 5:21 pm

It’s best you file even if they say you don’t need to. All you need to do is put your basic information in and file electronically for 2019. H&R Block or some other accountant can help you for free. You can file for 2018 also and I believe you will get an additional check for that year as well. I did!

3. Dianna Gutierrez on May 16, 2020 at 10:55 am

Am also on ssi and have income so I’ve provided update for direct deposit so why is it taking so long

• Linda on May 21, 2020 at 5:22 pm

• Linda on May 21, 2020 at 9:59 pm

Please file for 2018 and 2019 Taxes. Even though they don’t say you need to. It’s free to file when all you need to do is put your name, social security number, address and direct deposit info on the tax document. There is nothing else you need to add. It makes your check come faster even thou they say you don’t need to do it. You really do.

4. Kimberly Collins on May 17, 2020 at 12:22 am

I am on disability and still haven’t recieved mine! The IRS said they have everyone’s info from SSA so what’s the hold up because a lot of us didn’t get nothing when is it coming like you all keep promising?

5. Venus Thacker on May 17, 2020 at 3:50 pm

I filed my taxes March 25th and still haven’t received my check, I have received my state tax payment and when I get on the IRS website to find my payment date is says my taxes are still being processed and that’s all I get and my boyfriend filed the non filers for the stimulus and got his at the beginning of May so plz can someone please tell me where is my check…

• Linda on May 21, 2020 at 5:23 pm

Did you file electronically? That is key.

6. Frederick best on May 17, 2020 at 5:03 pm

I received my 1200 dollar check but not the payment for my wife. how can I find out why this happened?and how to get the payment for her?

7. Linda on May 18, 2020 at 9:24 am

As mentioned in an earlier comment above, there is a Stimulus Check tracker website, which has recently been updated.
    Click the link below. BE SURE to scroll down far enough on the page to see all the instructions. Hope this helps!