Skip to content

Lewisport woman dies after being struck by vehicle

Mary Alig

The legal guardian of a 62-year-old woman who died May 24 after being struck by the mirror of a passing vehicle on Kentucky Highway 657 (Fourth Street) in Lewisport May 16 has expressed concerns as to why the incident was not reported publicly by local media or police officials.

Tracy Cassaday, guardian of Mary Alig, 62, said late last week she had filed an open records request for the collision report completed by Officer Greg Linn of Lewisport Police Department, but that the request was denied because she had not attached legal guardian paperwork.

Cassaday said she inquired of Chief John Garner why the information had not appeared in the Hancock Clarion. She said Garner had claimed “someone” had posted on Facebook “That it wasn’t a serious accident.”

There have been no posts on social media nor any other public comments by the staff of the Clarion to that effect.

“I’ve been trying to get the police report, they’ve said I can’t,” Cassaday said. “I am concerned that it was not publicized; I don’t want her death to go unnoticed.”

According to a report by Lewisport Police Department Officer Greg Linn, around 8:55 p.m., May 16, Alig, of Nancy Avenue, was walking southbound against northbound traffic when she was reportedly struck in the right torso region of her body by the mirror of a vehicle operated by Angela M. Padgett, also of Lewisport.

Linn reported Alig came to rest about six feet off the roadway from the point of impact. Padgett travelled from the point of impact before turning around and returning to the scene. The mirror was found about 90 feet from the impact point.

The driver rendered aid to Alig and called 911 for assistance. First aid was provided at the scene by Hancock County EMS prior to transport to Owensboro Health for treatment of injuries.

Linn reported Padgett stated she did not see Alig prior to the collision, and she voluntarily submitted to a blood sample test, which was collected by Hancock County EMS. The sample was forwarded to Kentucky State Police – Madisonville Field Lab.

Cassaday said Alig was treated at OH for lacerations to her liver, had her spleen removed, and had partially collapsed lungs. She entered emergency surgery just after she arrived at the hospital on May 16.

She said Alig was walking to the store at the time she was struck. Cassaday said Alig was developmentally disabled and had the emotional age of 13 years old.

“She lived with me for about seven of the past nine years,” Cassaday said. “She had no family, as she was adopted at a very young age.”

Alig’s memorial service was held on June 4.

• • •

Clarion Publisher/Editor Donn Wimmer said the delay in reporting details of the collision – and Alig’s subsequent death – is the result of a small staff at the paper, and departure of a key staff member who had been gathering incident reports from Lewisport Police Department.

“Getting the information from LPD for the past few months is an oversight on our part,” Wimmer said. “After discussions with officials there, we have a better understanding of expectations and what needs to be done to avoid this situation in the future.”

A former staff member had been the primary contact with LPD, though he did say there were times requests went unheeded.

12 Comments

1. Tracy Cassaday on June 22, 2022 at 2:39 pm

Thank you for making sure that everyone knows what happened. Prayers for Mary and all involved 🙏

2. Nancy Clark on June 22, 2022 at 3:04 pm

It seems like here lately every accident reported in the Hancock County Clarion has been Minor.. evidently they don’t follow up on anyone that has been injured & rewrite the story.. this is not the first time this has happened. Praying for the family that lost this precious soul.

• Rita Prunes on June 22, 2022 at 4:57 pm

Mary lived in an apartment of her own and was taken advantage of by many she told me that herself so sad that people would take advantage of the elderly ones who do that are no better than the lowest scams of the earth God Rest her soul

• Brenda Conner on June 22, 2022 at 10:11 pm

Yes, she told me the same thing. I wasn’t aware of Mary having a guardian.

• LaDonna Howard on June 23, 2022 at 2:42 pm

I guess maybe you just didn’t know everything then, huh. The courts granted Tracy guardianship.

• LaDonna Howard on June 23, 2022 at 2:39 pm

Yes, she lived in an apartment on her own, what does that have to do with anything? Yes, she was taken advantage of, but not by Tracy. She was the ONLY one that was ever there for her no matter what. Even when the Oaks kicked her out. If you knew this was going on, why didn’t you do something about it? Why didn’t you step in like many of us tried to do, Tracy included.

Mary had a heart of gold, and a soul to match. She didn’t know a stranger, and would give a person her last penny if they needed it. She loved everyone, and always saw the good in everyone.

3. Donald Cassaday on June 22, 2022 at 4:47 pm

I feel extremely sorry for my wife,she’s been through a lot recently. First a family member goes in the hospital for COPD.then Lil Mrs Mary is taken to the same hospital Tracy has been coming to for a week already. Poor lady she brought one home then stood an sadly watched another begin her next great
    Adventure.
    I’d like to thank all concerned for helping my wife keep Mrs Mary’s memory,alive. To my wife keep fighting to keep dreams alive to the folks that have shared Mrs Mary’s life I give thanks.And to Mrs Mary I say right on Lil lady keep reaching for the heavens.

• Tracy L Cassaday on June 23, 2022 at 2:58 pm

I’m not sure why the digital version is so different than the printed version. This story is correct on FB. This is about what happened to her, not about my concerns. Most of the supporters of the Clarion receive the printed version. It needs to read the way the digital version does. We need sidewalks in Lewisport. This is the second time I’ve attempted to post that comment. Hopefully this time it will get approved.

4. Tracy Cassaday on June 22, 2022 at 7:14 pm

I’ll be fine dear. I’m praying that we at least get sidewalks so her death is not senseless :'( Mary would be happy in knowing that this didn’t happen to anyone else in our little community 🙏❣️

5. Stephanie Elliott on June 23, 2022 at 2:53 pm

It’s about time somebody said something. They hid it like somebody did something wrong. Mary knew everybody and had may friends and for her to have been done that way when she would go out of her way to help people is crazy.

• Tracy L Cassaday on June 29, 2022 at 3:17 pm

Stephanie, please contact me on Facebook. I’m “Tracy Padgett Cassaday.” Thank you! 🙏

6. Tracy L Cassaday on June 30, 2022 at 11:40 am

Thank you for printing the story almost the same as the digital version. People need to know the truth. Some of the info I gave wasn’t printed correctly (in any version), but very close. They still left the title in the printed version the same as it was in the first printed version, and left out the last line where they had had issues with Lewisport police dept before. It really isn’t anything about my concerns so much as it is that I didn’t want Mary’s death swept under the rug. She will be eternally remembered. I will not let her death be a senseless death. No one deserves to die this way. I miss her so much. God rest her soul. 🙏❣️