Skip to content

Woman says stimulus money never came; family’s struggling without

Local woman says that despite all of the money being handed out from the government during the pandemic, her family hasn’t seen any of it and is still struggling.

Emily Cruz, of Lewisport, said her problems began when her husband Marcos closed the Mexican restaurant the couple operated in Lewisport, in the hopes of opening up another business in Michigan in 2018.
“Well after he did that, it all went downhill from there,” said Emily Cruz. “He ended up getting health problems.”

The couple and their four kids, ages 17, 13, 10, and 9, live in an apartment on 4th Street in Lewisport.

While her husband is still there, she said he’ll soon be her ex-husband and he’s not helping with the bills.
“He ended up getting the COVID and getting health issues, but he’s not physically paying anything,” she said. “He’s still in the picture but he’s not basically helping.”

She said she’s gotten help on her utilities from Audubon Area, but she’s behind on her rent and there’s no place to get help with that.
“I’m just $550 behind,” she said. “When I asked about the eviction thing I know they’re still letting people file evictions now. I think that they’ve reinstated that.”

Stimulus payments sent out to nearly every American during the pandemic, $1,200 for every adult last year and $600 so far this year, haven’t reached her.

“I didn’t even get a stimulus,” she said. “I didn’t get a stimulus for last year for me or my kids. I don’t know what’s up with that.”
She said she was told you can file for a rebate on taxes, but her taxes were held up too.
“I never even got my tax return,” she said. “We haven’t even got it yet. It says it’s still processing when you go online. It’s crazy.”

Cruz says that right now she and her four kids all have COVID-19.
“We all five have it,” she said. “It just seems like it’s just a flu that never ends.”
She’s applied for jobs, but she’s limited by her skill set and by where she can apply because she doesn’t have a car.
“Really I’ve got to find something close because of the transportation issue, that’s within walking distance,” she said. “I’ve even went door to door trying to find cleaning jobs because that’s basically the only experience that I have besides serving.”

She wants to get financially stable so she and the kids can be on their own, but for that to happen she’ll have to keep a roof over their heads and be able to begin to bring in some income.

“I would basically just say the immediate need is children’s clothes, the rent to get us through just for this month, next month, and food,” she said. “And then help finding a job. That’s the first priority. If anybody knows of any jobs, like they need help cleaning houses or stuff like that.”

By Dave Taylor

12 Comments

1. Emily Cruz on January 14, 2021 at 7:58 pm

my phone number is 8127191797

2. Sherry simmons on January 16, 2021 at 1:00 pm

I am I represent a payee to two men that are 22 years old and they never got one stimulus check and they both on disability it never came I did the nine followers it’s not showing it even reach to a bank account or anything and it’s just unfit because these people are wondering where their money is and there is nothing to give and it’s hard for people to believe that you’re telling the truth when you are but it’s like it’s been ever since I think I filed in October on the twilers because people was getting it people that get disability automatically get it why didn’t they receive it and the IRS is really not helping what can I do.

3. Sherry simmons on January 16, 2021 at 1:03 pm

I am sorry about the spelling I meant to say it’s very unfair you know these two guys have disabilities and everybody got the money and they so far done this two payments and never received anything even with me doing the nuns pilots they said everybody with disability automatically will get it everybody will get it. But that’s not the case and when you call the IRS you can’t give a social and it’s just like basically what are you calling for when it’s waiting process I never heard of anything taking months it’s crazy now we already on the second stimulus and I’m waiting a third what else possible can you do

• Emily Cruz on January 18, 2021 at 6:36 pm

I know im struggling so bad right now and am behind on rent on verge of being evicted.Any suggestions who could possibly help?

4. Emily Cruz on January 18, 2021 at 6:38 pm

5. Dw on January 19, 2021 at 9:53 am

Try the churches in your community.

6. Emily Cruz on January 19, 2021 at 2:49 pm

I have tried every church in the community no luck at all because of no funds

7. Emily Cruz on January 19, 2021 at 2:51 pm

Im basically just trying to get enough money to catch up on my rent until i start my new job at the oaks next monday.Me and my 4 children just recently got off isolation due to covid

8. Emily Cruz on January 19, 2021 at 2:52 pm

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated i would be willing to pay it back once on my feet

9. Emily Cruz on January 19, 2021 at 3:17 pm

My adress is also is 261 4th street apt 1 if anyone can think of any help for the immediate need

10. Emily Cruz on January 19, 2021 at 3:49 pm

The immediate need is 550 back rent and 550 upcoming rent and then we will be caught up

11. Rebecca on January 23, 2021 at 12:30 pm

Hi Emily, we are in the same boat basically. My husband and I are on disability and we haven’t received anything. I go to the IRS website and check the “Get My Payment” tool and all it says is “Info Not Available”. I’ve been told that we will have to file taxes, but not file because we are on disability. But, while doing so we will have to file the rebate recovery. I’m so sorry that u guys are struggling. At least we are blessed to have some type of income. So I will be praying for ur family.

Also what size clothes do you need? I might be able to help in that category. My number is 812-619-1879. Please feel free to contact me. God bless you all!